The two day event was designed to bring volunteer leaders from all parts of Illinois together to help grow and improve their organizations.
We heard from author and speaker Clint Swindall on Monday. Clint spoke about employee engagement and working with volunteer leaders. Clint referenced several topics from his most recent book Engaged Leadership.
My Takeaways from the event were this.
- Ironically when you get a group of HR folks together to work on Mission, Vision and Values statements, they struggle just like most other groups.
- SHRM volunteers at all levels give a tremendous amount of their time and effort helping their respective organizations.
- To hold a successful conference these days, the host facility and hotel must have reliable wireless internet service through out the facility.
- A hotel bar is essential for conference networking, a hotel without a bar will stifle networking.
- It takes one heck of a commitment and a hell of a lot of time to be Director of a State Council of SHRM. Thanks to our friend John Jorgensen for all that he has done for this organization!