Friday, November 5, 2010

SHRM Social Media Crowd Makes Up 1.57% of Conference

I am starting to get excited about an upcoming trip. I will be attending the SHRM Leadership Conference. This is an annual conference put on by the mothership in Arlington, VA.

I am excited because as I don't get to attend a lot of events as my Company does not have a huge unlimited conference/travel budget. So the times I get to travel and attend conferences are usually fulfilling, enlightening as well as invigorating. I have attended this conference in previous years. It sounds like the numbers are down for this year. The current count is 700. In previous years that I’ve attended it has hit 1300 or so.

So, one of the things that is fun about conferences for me is this; I enjoy getting to visit with my social media/twitter friends. Most of us look forward to meeting in IRL. Those of us who communicate on twitter/Facebook/Linkedin/Youtube etc. really get a kick out of this. It’s like meeting a pen pal, or long lost friend, or telephone business associate.

Now I have been one of the folks out front trying to promote this event, mainly because I am happy to be an attendee. Myself and fellow tweeter akabruno have worked to try and bring people together, those who will be attending. We (the social media enthusiast/SHRM members) have also been supported by Curtis Midkiff, and we appreciate all that he has done and is doing for us.

I have been working on keeping a list of my fellow tweeps who will be attending, and while I know that I do not have them all of the twitter crowd, so farI have 12 people on my list. So being the math wizard that I am that tells me our active tweeters currently comprise a whopping 1.57% of the attendees (ouch!).I thought the New Media tweeps were more of a force. Contact me if you are attending and I will add you to the list.

No matter, I will see  all 12 of you at the Friday night tweet-up – thanks for supporting us Curtis!



Uploaded Pictures from previous SHRM - related Tweet-Ups


No comments:

Post a Comment