Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Something About Mary

It is thrilling to be a part of the SHRM18 social media team.  As a group, we are given access to just about everything going on with SHRM and the Annual Conference. SHRM also provides us space and tools so that we can produce content and information to help promote SHRM and the event.  I think we do a good job (except for picking up after ourselves in the Bloggers Lounge).

For the bloggers, Mary Kaylor is our main point of contact with SHRM.  Officially Mary, is the Manager of Public Affairs for SHRM.  She is the producer of #NextChat, managing editor of the SHRM blog and is involved with most aspects of social media and many other communication efforts at SHRM.  Mary has been with SHRM Public Affairs since 2008, so she has been doing this for a long time.  I reached out to Mary and told her that I wanted to write a piece about her because I thought it was important that the folks who consume our content know who is behind it and helps to make it happen.

In an effort to give Mary some credit for doing a great job with what she does I asked her if I could write a piece about her and post it on the SHRM blog.  At first, she was hesitant and did not want me to do so, but I persevered.  Mary caved and agreed.  We had attempted to carve out 10 to 15 minutes where I could interview her and ask questions about her role.

The interview did not go as planned. It happened on Saturday as the SHRM Annual Conference was getting underway. Mary had done a presentation earlier in the day I tried to catch her after that but there was no time, there. So, we then decided to try to do this in the Blogger’s Lounge, before she had to speak with some folks at SHRM India.

We sat down, and I asked some cursory questions about her role.  As the conversation began, a couple bloggers dropped by to get their credentials. She quickly helped them and came back.  We picked up again for at least two to three minutes, and in walked more people.

Mary being interrupted by Mike Habermanm and Brad Galin.
After a bit we tried to start again, and got derailed – again.  Mary suggested that I send her some questions via email.  Well that didn’t work for me because I wanted to get something posted about Mary and her role during the conference.  I wanted to communicate the way that she manages over 60 bloggers from around the world and all the content we generate at the Annual Conference. What she does is amazing, and I wanted her to know that we recognize that and appreciate it.

So, this is how the post is going to go.  Mary is consumed with the event and it shows in how her days go.  I know, I speak for all the Blogger when I say that we love Mary and appreciate all that she does for us and for all SHRM members.

If you want to know a little bit more, about her role you can check out this post from last year written by fellow blogger Mark Fogel.

No comments:

Post a Comment